How do I move family tree maker files
How do I move family tree maker files from one machine to another?’ It’s an issue that most of us have encountered. You’ll need to move your tree at some point, whether you’re finally upgrading to a new computer or need to reformat your hard drive to get rid of a bothersome virus. And with a few short steps, you can transfer your family tree without losing any data.
In this article, we will tell you how can you transfer you family tree maker files to a new computer. Here you will get a step-by-step process to move your family tree files. So read the full article at last we will also tell you some more important points.
Your first reaction is to move family tree files around like any other document: copy, paste, and done. You will be able to access your tree, but Family Tree Maker will not be able to link to your media items, and you will only see thumbnails of your images and records if you do this.
Process to transfer family tree maker files
The key is to transfer your family tree file as well as your audio, video, and photos all at the same time. Note that these instructions apply to both Family Tree Maker 2017 and 2019. Make a backup copy of your tree on your previous machine as the first step.
- Make sure the tree you wish to transfer is open on your old machine, then go to File>Backup. The Backup dialogue box appears.
- Enter a new name for the tree in the Backup file namefield if you wish to identify this backup file from your original tree. You now have the option of backing up your file to a CD, DVD, or flash device.
- Insert a CD or DVD into your old computer’s disc drive, or attach your flash drive to it.
- Click Removeable Media in Backup location and select your CD-ROM drive, DVD drive, or flash drive from the drop-down list.
- Select Include associated media files from the drop-down menu. If you don’t, your tree’s images, videos, and audio won’t be included in the package.
- Select OK. The backup process is shown by a succession of notifications.
- Insert your CD, DVD, or flash drive into your new computer once the backup is complete.
Family Tree Maker Files Transfer
Now you must transfer the backup file to the hard disc of the new computer. Because Family Tree Maker won’t open trees saved on CDs, DVDs, or flash devices, this is critical.
- Make sure your new computer has the most recent version of Family Tree Maker installed.
- Double-click My Computer on the new computer and navigate to the drive where your backup file is saved (CD, DVD, or flash drive).
- Right-click your backup (.ftmb) file and select Copy from the context menu.
- Locate the location where you wish to save the file on your hard drive (for example, My Documents), then right-click and select Paste. The backup file has now been copied to your computer’s hard disc.
- On your new computer, launch Family Tree Maker.
- Select File>Restore from the File menu. The window Choose File to Restore appears.
- Select the Look in drop-down list and navigate to the folder containing the backup (.ftmb) file.
- Click the backup file you’d like to view.
- Select Open. The Restored File Name window appears. You’ll now use your backup file to create a new Family Tree Maker tree.
- Choose a location for the new file in the Save infield.
- Give the new file a name in the File name area.
- Save the file. In Family Tree Maker, your tree appears. You’ll notice that your media files are saved in the same location as your new tree.
So after this post you will be able to transfer family tree files. If you have any issues regarding family tree maker software then you can also read our blogs. You can also call the family tree maker support phone number. Our toll-free number is +1-800-697-1474.