Last updated on April 30th, 2022 at 12:16 pm
Sometimes you have to face the problem of duplicate people in a family tree. It happens sometimes and it’s not a big issue. You can easily short out this issue with simple steps. In this post, we will tell you about merging duplicate people into a family tree.
Welcome to the Family Tree Maker Support. In this post, we will tell you how to short out the duplicacy issue of people in a family tree. If you face this problem in your tree then please read this post carefully and get the solution to this issue.
To help to prevent duplicate people in the future, see the way to Avoid Creating Duplicates people in a Tree. For information about merging entire trees, see Merging Family Trees. So let’s start today’s topic “Merging Duplicate People in a Family Tree”.
Making Sure Duplicate People Are Duplicates
When people that are biologically associated with one another marry each other, they may appear as duplicates in their genealogy. This happens because the duplicated people each have two roles within the family, and therefore the tree is inserting them into both roles. Before fixing a duplication problem, you’ll get to determine whether someone is entered within the tree twice or is simply appearing to be a replica.
- In your tree, click on one among the duplicated people.
- Click profile within the menu that appears.
- Within the URL at the highest of the page, record the amount between /person and /facts.
- In the top-left corner of the profile page, click the tree symbol to travel back to your tree.
- Repeat this process with the second duplicate person.
- Compare the two numbers. If the numbers are different, you’re seeing two separate entries within the tree; follow the steps below. If the numbers are equivalent, you’re watching an equivalent person; see our article about intra-familial marriages.
Finding Duplicate People In A Family Tree
- From any page on Ancestry, click the Trees tab and choose a tree.
- In the top-right corner of your tree, click Tree Search.
- Within the panel on the proper, click List of all people.
- Scroll through the list to seek out duplicate people. The list goes in alphabetical order by surname. Search for people that share similar or identical basic details.
- Once you find a replica person, click on their name. It doesn’t matter which of the two names you click on.
Merging Duplicate People In A Family Tree
For merging duplicate people in a family tree please follow the given steps:
- From the profile page of an individual who’s duplicated, click Tools within the top-right corner and choose Merge with Duplicate.
- On the Merge Duplicate People page, select the duplicate you will be merging from the proper column. If we discover one or more duplicates automatically, they’ll appear within the Person 2 column.
Therein case, click the Select button next to the person you want to merge. To look for a replica person manually, type their name into the Find an individual during this tree field and click on the person from the menu that appears.
- Select the facts that you’d wish to make primary. For every event, click the circle next thereto that’s most accurate or specific. For instance, if person 1 lists the year of birth but person 2 lists the month and day also, the birth fact for person 2 would be more specific. The very facts you do not choose are going to be saved as an alternate fact. If the facts are precisely the same, it’ll say SAME next to the very fact. During this case, just leave that fact alone.
- Once, you’ve chosen which facts you would like to form primary, click Merge.
- If you discover mistakes in your tree after merging, try fixing them with the steps during this article. The issue of duplicate values happens when there is an incorrect connection in a family tree.
Here in this post, we tell you the process of merging duplicate people in a family tree. By following the above-given steps you can easily merging duplicate people in a tree.
If still, you need any help then feel free to call the family tree maker support number. Our toll-free number is +1-800-697-1474. Now you can also use family tree maker live chat to get instant support. We have 24/7-customer support so you can call us anytime.
FAQ Questions: Merging Duplicate People In A Family Tree
Ans: Select Edit from the drop-down menu at the top. This person then selects delete from the right-hand menu, followed by the name of the. Individual. You’ve successfully deleted one of the duplicate profiles at this point.
Ans: Yes, you can merge two people on ancestry. From the profile page click on the three dots and select merge with a duplicate.
Ans: If any person adds two times then that is called a duplicate person. Sometimes duplicate people add in a family tree.